WHAT IS #espYoungLegends?
espYoungLegends is a unique online competition that takes place annually, brought to you by espAfrika (Pty) Ltd and the Cape Town International Jazz Festival. After three fantastic years of seeing past winners Lana Crowster, VuDu and Jarrad Ricketts wow fans on stage at the Cape Town International Jazz Festival, it’s time to find the next unsigned jazz-inspired band to perform at the 20th celebration of Africa’s Grandest Gathering!
We’re searching for an outstanding, talented band of 2 – 8 members. The winner will perform at #CTIJF2019 on Friday 29 or Saturday 30 March 2019.
We’re looking for undiscovered gems with raw talent and the full package to join our line-up and rub shoulders with international and local heavyweights.
Bands with high performance standards, quality of musicianship and a strong focus on pushing their career forward, are welcome to apply!
HOW TO ENTER
Competition opens on Thursday 30 August 2018.
Complete the application form below, along with the following compulsory material:
- Three (3) links to your online live video performances set up on your artist YouTube channel. Please note that entries without 3 live videos will not be accepted.
- A full band biography
- A hi-res band photo (no more than 2mb)
- Links to your website, Facebook Artist page, Instagram account are essential to assess your fanbase.
- Include as many relevant links of your band as possible (this can include reviews, performances etc)
- Remember to save your biography and photos labelled with your band name
Entries close on Tuesday 30 October 2018.
If your entry is successful and in line with our requirements, you will receive an automated response via email within 48 hours of your submission.
Your entry will be judged by the strength of live video performances, your South African live gig and social media presence, fan base, as well as the style of your performance and how it fits in with the line-up for #CTIJF2019.
To qualify for the competition bands/artists must fall into the following genres:
Acid jazz, Afro-Cuban jazz, Asian American jazz, Avant-garde jazz, Bebop, Bossa nova, British dance band, Cape jazz, Chamber jazz, Continental jazz, Cool jazz, Crossover jazz, Dark jazz, Dixieland, Electro Swing, Ethio jazz, Ethno jazz, European free jazz, Free funk, Free improvisation, Free jazz, Gypsy jazz, Hard bop, Hot club, Indo jazz, Jazz blues, Jazz-funk, Jazz fusion, Jazz rap, Jazz rock, Kansas City blues, Kansas City jazz, Latin jazz, M-Base, Mainstream jazz, Modal jazz, Neo-bop jazz, Neo-swing, Novelty ragtime, Nu jazz, Orchestral jazz, Post-bop, Punk jazz, Ragtime, Ska jazz, Smooth jazz, Soul jazz, Straight-ahead jazz, Stride jazz, Swing, Third stream, Trad jazz, Vocal jazz, West Coast jazz.
The band must be able to perform a 45-minute set that must include original and cover songs.
Entries will be screened by the espYoungLegends listening committee who will select the Top 20 finalists.
The Top 20 finalists will be posted on www.espafrika.com on Wednesday 5 December 2018.
The public can then vote for their favourite Top 10 bands via a voting poll.
The Top 10 will be notified via email prior to the announcement and loaded onto the website on Thursday 10 January 2019.
The espYoungLegends judging panel will then vote for their favourite Top 5 bands.
The Top 5 finalists will be posted on www.espafrika.com on Thursday 17 January 2019. Each finalist will be notified via email prior to the official announcement.
The public will then vote for the winning band between Thursday 17 January 2019 and midnight on Thursday 24 January 2019.
The winning band will be notified before the announcement on Friday 25 January 2019 once verification has been completed.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Terms and conditions of the #espYoungLegends competition:
- The competition is organised and promoted by espAfrika (Pty) Ltd (herein referred to as the “Company”), organisers of the Cape Town International Jazz Festival.
- The entrant acknowledges that the purpose of the competition is the search for a band (2 – 8 piece) (hereafter referred to as ‘I/me/my’) and the competition will require the online submission of three (3) links of a live performance video that will be scrutinized before a panel of Judges. Applications made on behalf of a group must have the consent of all members of the group before applying. I understand the nature of the competition and in signing this agreement I hereby consent to the use of my contribution to the competition on the terms and conditions herein stated.
- The entrant retains all ownership rights to all original song(s). espAfrika (Pty) Ltd will not have any ownership rights to any song submitted.
- The entrants must own all content (song, video and all parts of the content), or must have secured all necessary rights from any relevant third parties with respect to such content they upload.
- The entrant must be able to perform a 45-minute set and must include originals and cover songs that are of a high standard in accordance with the standard of the Cape Town International Jazz Festival.
- The entrant is responsible for providing up-to-date and correct email addresses to #espYoungLegends. #espYoungLegends is not responsible for my non-receipt of any #espYoungLegends emails for any reason, including but not limited to, server or email malfunctions. #espYoungLegends will use its best efforts to announce the winner at the designated time but will not be held liable for any unforeseen delays. The winner will be notified by email and phone. I give permission to use winner’s name, likeness, and voice for future advertising and publicity purposes without additional compensation.
- The entrant agrees that the submission videos may be uploaded onto the Company website for public voting opportunity and publicity.
- The entrant agrees to make themselves available to the Company should they win the competition and be available at such times and in such locations as the Company may reasonably require in respect of the competition including without limitation rehearsals, publicity, press calls, photographs, recordings and/or other contributions. Such events will be organised and paid for by the Company.
- The Company (or other such companies as chosen by the Company) may film and/or record performances at the events. The entrant agrees to the use of this material by the Company for marketing and promotional purposes, including but not limited to national and international broadcast, including rights to reproduce and edit footage. The Company will own all intellectual property rights in any film and sound recording of the performances.
- The entrant is free to enter into this agreement and hereby agree to indemnify the Company in respect of all actions, proceedings, claims, damages and other liabilities which may be brought against or incurred by the Company as a result of the breach of any of my warranties, representations or obligations contained in this agreement. The entrant agrees that in the event of any breach of this agreement by the Company they shall not be entitled to pursue the competition with any legal action.
- The entrant warrants that they have not entered into any commercial, sponsorship or other agreement or arrangement with any person, firm or company in respect of my entry in the competition and/or musical, musical writing and/or performing abilities and will not do so.
- The entrant, if the Competition Winner, acknowledges and agree to make themselves available for appearances and promotion for a 12 month period from the end of the competition for a minimum of 5 times. These will be at such times and in such locations as the Company may reasonably require in respect of the competition including without limitation showcases, interviews, publicity, press calls, photographs and/or other contributions. I agree to attend such events and will advise of (and) provide receipts to the Company for reimbursement of any reasonable travel expenses incurred.
- The entrant acknowledges and agrees to abide fully by the rules, regulations, terms and conditions for this competition. The entrant agrees to observe all procedures and obey all reasonable instructions in force or given by a member of the Company and/or any location staff in connection with the competition and the management of the locations and the fire safety and security arrangements in those locations.
- The entrant acknowledges that the Company reserve the right to amend the Rules (including without limitation verbally) or terminate the competition at any time without liability. The Company’s decisions shall be final.
- The entrant must be resident in South Africa and 18 years old or above at the time of submission of the entry. The entrant will be asked to provide the Company with supporting documentation to substantiate this (i.e. birth certificate and/or valid passport) and agrees that the Company reserves the right to require at any time proof of identity and/or eligibility.
- All personal details and/or information given in the entrant’s application either in this form or otherwise must be truthful, accurate and in no way misleading. The entrant undertakes to inform the Company immediately if any such information becomes inaccurate.
- The information provided in the application may be used in connection with the production and promotion of the competition. By submitting entry details the entrant is agreeing that from time to time the Company’s partners, sponsors or associated companies may contact the entrant with information regarding relevant services they feel may be of interest to the entrant.
- The entrant acknowledges that the Company reserves the right to remove or disqualify the entrant from the competition at their absolute discretion and that the decision of the Company is final.
- The Company reserves the right to disqualify any contestant if they supply untruthful, inaccurate or misleading personal details and/or information, have failed to abide by the Rules and/or are in breach of the terms hereof.
- The Company reserves the right to disqualify any contestant if they are deemed to be acting outside the spirit of the competition. The Company’s decisions shall be final.
- The Company will endeavour to operate the competition and apply the rules and conditions of the competition as devised by the Company.
- If any provision of this agreement is adjudged by a court to be void or unenforceable such provision shall no way affect any other provisions of this agreement, the application of the provision in any other circumstances or the validity or enforceability of this agreement and such provision shall be curtailed and limited only to the extent necessary to bring it within legal requirement.
- The courts of South Africa shall have sole jurisdiction in relation to the terms and conditions of the agreement contained in this release which shall be interpreted according to the laws of South Africa.